Saturday, May 11, 2013

adulting

What does it mean to be an adult? I have been pondering this question as I have been muddling through some sort of pre-mature quarter life crisis. Or very mature, depending on how you look at it. I have been reading a hilllariousss book called Adulting by Kelly Williams Brown. I was drawn to it based on the fact that I love it when people make up words, and can make me laugh while at the same time instilling me with valuable life lessons and things.  Although I feel like I am struggling through a couple of things I don't feel the need to whack a look at me sticker on (if it isn't enough that I am here blogging instead of doing homework) , here are some things that have helped me transition from spastic teenager to young adult headed somewhere good probably.

1) Realize that the more you like your choices, the less important it is for other people to like them. Just  "unapologetically like the things that you like", because "those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind". If it feels like I am stringing together large amounts of inspirational quotes without giving credit to the author, you are correct because that is what is happening.

2) Live intentionally. Make to-do lists. Have a plan. I have a vision of what I want the decor for my house to be, and I don't care if it sits bare for 3 years as long as the end result is "the vision". Sometimes on my to-do lists, I put things that I am definitely going to do anyway, like eat breakfast, so that you can check it off and feel good about yourself right off the bat. You can do it!

3) Define the "somedays" and the "i'll do it laters". This is tough. When I say to myself, "oh i will do it later", I have been making a conscious effort to schedule that later, and usually that is a bugger, so I end up just doing that thing right then.  When is your someday? When is later?

4)  Save your money. Again, something that I have not perfected. At all. Never take advice about finances from me. Take it from my hubby,  I do.  But lately I have been trying to convince myself  ( thanks to hub man) that "All you need is less". Because guess what, a dollar saved is a dollar, and a dollar earned ( after taxes & tithing) is about 60 cents. 60 Lowly cents people. Save your cents.

Again. I am no authority on maturosity or practices of highly effective individuals, even though I have read that book, too- I am just on my way to being a person who doesn't startle their coworkers by arriving to work on time.

loves,
farmwife



No comments:

Post a Comment