Sunday, February 2, 2014

sunday mornings


If you have ever looked at a cake and thought to yourself.... " I wish it were socially acceptable to slather this in butter" then I have a recipe for you. I basically make this coffee cake every weekend. It makes hubby super happy, and now that I am pregnant I, too, see the value in cake for breakfast. Here is how to make your own!

Preheat your oven to 350. Grease your fine self and 8x8  pan. Beat the following ingredients together just until smooth ( in a mixing bowl just fyi, you know, in case you cook like those fairies on sleeping beauty):
1 c. flour
1/2 cup sugar
3 tablespoons softened butter
1/2 cup milk
1 egg
1/2 tablespoon baking powder
1 tsp salt

Then rubber spatula this mixture into your greased pan. Now is the part where I rinse out  my mixing bowl so I can use it again for the topping. My dishwasher has a tendency to get overloaded, so I do what I can. Dump all this stuff into a bowl except your nuts:

1/3 cup softened butter
1/2 cup flour
1/3 cup brown sugar
1 tsp of cinnamon  ( or when I do it, a good shaking)
1/2 cup chopped nuts ( or a handful )

Smash it all up into a crumble with a fork. Be aggressive. It might take a minute or two.  Add your nuts. I like walnuts or pecans. Or, skip them. It's your cake. Then sprinkle this mixture all over your batter in the pan. Once it's covered, take a butter knife, and run it through in an S shape, so that the batter and streusal can become better acquainted.

Then pop this sucker into your toasty oven for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown. Or until hunger overtakes you. Because it is going to make your house smell fantastic.

Enjoy your cake. Preferably with butter and a tall glass of milk. Some bacon if you want to be really impressive. Or just some fruit to even out the fact that you are consuming cake for breakfast : )

And oh hey, for purposes of simplicity, I just use one whole stick of butter. Slightly more than 3 tbs for the cake, and then the rest of the stick goes to the topping.


- farmwife



No comments:

Post a Comment